Preamble to the Constitution of the American Legion:
For God and Country, we associate ourselves
together for the following purposes: To uphold and defend the Constitution
of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and
perpetuate a one hundred percent Americanism; to preserve the memories and
incidents of our associations in the Great Wars; to inculcate a sense of
individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the
autocracy of both the classes and the masses; to make right the master of
might; to promote peace and good will on earth; to safeguard and transmit to
posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy; to consecrate
and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness.
"The Friendly Village", is one of Western Suffolk County's historical
communities. Early settlers purchased the land known as West Neck South from
the Massapequa Indians in the late 17th century and renamed it Huntington
South after their hometown in 1790. The name Amityville was selected by the
residents in the 1840's for the community's first post office in 1850.
Suffolk County is the easterly portion of Long Island where many Native
Americans thrived and prospered. The Indians called this Island Seawanhacky,
this means Island of Shells.
History of Hunter Squires Jackson Post 1218:
In 1917, America decided to enter the war that was being fought in Europe. This
decision was against the principles laid down by our founding Fathers
regarding entanglement with Europeans. However, we felt that this war was the
war to save democracy, so we went in and changed our status from an
isolationist to a warring nation. Throughout America, men were being
drafted and sent overseas. The young men of Amityville were no exceptions.
Among the men sent from Amityville, three were to blaze the history of Amityville by
participating in a meeting held on March 15, 1919 in Paris, France for
the purpose of organizing a group now known as the American Legion.
These men were Arthur Hunter, Arthur Squires and Frederick Jackson.
Naming of the Post-Conferring an Honor:
The Hunter-Squires-Jackson Post was named after three WWI veterans of the old
15th Regiment; later called the 360th Regiment. Arthur Hunter, Arthur Squires
and Frederick Jackson, members of the 360th Regiment, served their country well
and fought at Chateau Thierry, Marne and St. Mihiel in service with French
regiments. Both Arthur Hunter and Frederick Jackson received a
"Croix de Guerre"
The American Legion provided for any group of men who served in the armed
services in this country or abroad. In order to establish a post, a charter
must be secured. In 1938, Thomas Green Sr., the Hunter and Squires families,
along with several other families wanted to apply for a charter. A meeting
was called and they met at "Freddies' Rendezvous" on Albany
Avenue and Park Place and decided to apply for the Charter and call the
post, "Hunter, Squires, Jackson Post." The Charter came back with
the number 1218. The Charter members of this new Post were Thomas Greene Sr.,
Wilbur B Miller, William Brewster, Henry Dorsey, George B. Russ, Theodore
Fowler, Alvin Mayhew, John E. Jackson, and Townsend Jackson. Thomas
Greene Sr. became the first Commander. A meeting place had to be found as
the membership was growing.
Acquiring Land for a Building:
A committee was appointed to look for larger quarters and a place was found.
Land for the building was secured through Mr. Ernest Hunter, Patriarch of
the Hunter family, who donated the land where the Post is now located at
133 Dixon Avenue. The Post's chapter confirmation was issued on March 29,
1938 to the membership of 15 charter members with Thomas Greene Sr. as Commander.
History of the Auxiliary:
In 1938, the wives and other relatives decided to organize an Auxiliary,
and their first president was Mrs. Leona Hunter. As the minutes indicate,
there were many activities such as visiting the sick, taking gifts to
hospital patients, and making bandages for the Red Cross. The most active
member of the auxiliary was Mrs. Mary Ross. In 1941, the Women's Auxiliary
was formally instituted with a membership of 25 active participants in legion
events. In addition, the H.S.J. Legion Drum and Bugle Corp. played an
important role in various activities as a part of its youth and community
programs with 31 talented musical members. On June 15, 1947 the H.S.J. Legion
Drum and Bugle Corp played in an United Nations Pageant “Drum and Bugle
Corps Contest” at a “Portraits Unveiling” by noted painter
E. Cecil Stoner of which Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt (President’s wife) was
one of the speaker.
The history of the organization is rather unique in terms of its reason of
origin and the make-up of its membership. Although we do not discriminate,
historically, the unique ethnic and racial make-up of Black and Native
American members of Hunter Squires Jackson Post 1218 was due to the imposed
racial segregation of the military until after World War II
Over the years, there have been many county and state officers selected from
the Hunter-Squires-Jackson Post membership who have proudly served New York
State and the Nation in promoting veteran solidarity.
Goals & Philosophy: